Tuesday 2 November 2010

Original Unedited Photographs and Analytical Paragraphs

These are my UNEDITED photos, scroll down to the blog entry underneath for the FINAL EDITED PHOTOGRAPHS WITH CAPTIONS. Click on photographs to enlarge if necessary.



Photo 1: I chose to take a long shot of the fish tank for my first photograph, in order to position the viewer in the scene, and so that they were able to take in the photo as a whole, rather than just showing them a portion of the full view. The idea behind the photographs is that the fish tank was originally murky and dark; therefore I adjusted the colour gradient to make the shot look darker than it originally was, giving more emphasis on the dirtiness of the tank to the viewer. I also used the Photoshop blur tool to make the fish look slightly blurry in order to add to the shock of how dirty the tank is. The photo was also cropped to eliminate insignificant objects that were in the shot when I took it, for example bottles and wires. Finally, I positioned the fish food in the bottom left hand corner of the shot on purpose just to add a little extra into the shot, and I also brightened the pots to make them more prominent to the viewer.



Photo 2: I decided to include this particular photo because I liked the way the water was rippling at the top of the tank, and the detail present at the forefront of the photograph. In order to vary the angle of shots I decided to take a high angle shot to capture the tank from a high point of view. Also, from this angle the viewer can see inside of the tank without the lid on, therefore getting a better view of how dirty the water is, and increasing their empathy towards the fish. The only thing I had to do for this photograph was darken it as a whole; it needed no cropping as I had positioned the camera to my liking at the time of taking the photo.




Photo 3: I chose to have a close up shot of one of the RPSCA ‘team’ members getting to work on cleaning the tank, just so there was a little variation in shots. For this shot there was originally a ‘Tesco’ branded label on the black bucket, so I edited this out as it made the image look a little untidy, and also I wasn’t sure of showing brand names in my photographs. I also smudged out some of the marks on the figure’s hand again to tidy up the image. I cropped the photo also as the jumper being worn in the shot had ‘Winchester’ written on it, and I thought that this might lessen the authenticity of the image.




Photo 4: I wanted to take a close up shot of all three of the fish to show them in detail, and also after the tank had been cleaned so the viewer could see how much clearer the photograph was. The tank still had some water marks showing so I managed to edit these out using the smudge tool on Photoshop, and I also cropped the photo so the image was zoomed in on the fish. The photo is slightly empty apart from the fish however I didn’t see this as a negative thing as I wanted to make it clear what my main focus was for the viewer.



Photo 5: I wanted another close up shot of the fish looking happier after their tank had been cleaned to emphasise the job of the RSPCA and how they’d managed to give them a better life in so short a time. Therefore I included this picture of the three fish looking healthier and happier. Regarding the colour tone, I made the shot lighter as a whole and cropped it to zoom into the subjects. I also attempted to edit out some of the dirt from the tank that is still visible; however I found it fairly difficult to erase most of it.



Photo 6: For the last photo I decided to put some of the fish food into the tank and capture them eating, so that the viewer could get a feel of how hungry they were, adding extra emphasis on the welfare of the fish. I managed to capture this shot of the gold fish swimming upwards to reach the food, and I thought as an image it looked quite powerful, so would be good for the last shot. I thought that the lighting for this shot didn’t need to be changed and so all I did was crop the photo. I thought about editing out the black fish in the background, however I decided against it as I thought it would be good for the viewer to see the fish in the background swimming for food as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment